Skip to Content
Accessibility Assistance
Sonoma County Seal
Treasurer-Tax Collector banner image
Link to Intranet Home Page Link to Site Map link to Contact Us Link to the Search Page

Investment & Debt Division

Established in 1972, the Revenue & Debt Division (a.k.a. Central Collections) maximizes Sonoma County’s revenue by collecting delinquent accounts. These accounts include Unsecured Delinquent Taxes, Public Defender Fees, Probation Accounts, Human Services Overpayments, Health Services Accounts, and Abatement Penalties & Permit Fees, along with other types of collections, which are occasionally referred by other County departments as necessary. Revenue recovered by the Revenue & Debt Division (Central Collections) is credited back to the originating department.

Collection Agents review and evaluate delinquent accounts to determine effective collection methods. They also perform follow-up contacts to ensure payment of accounts.  When necessary, the Revenue & Debt Division (Central Collections) also pursues legal action to recover public funds.


Contact List

Contact Phone Nunber

Central Collections Main Line

  • Unsecured Taxes
  • Transient Occupancy Tax
  • Probation
  • Public Defender
  • Health Services
  • Human Services
  • Court Oder Debt
  • Animal Care & Control
  • Misc. Accounts

(707) 565-2817

Central Collections Supervisor

(707) 565-3206

Central Collections Fax

(707) 565-2610



arrow up

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I mail my payment?

A. Mail payments to:

Sonoma County Central Collections
P.O. Box 3569
Santa Rosa, CA  95402

Q. What methods of payment are accepted?

A. We accept cash, money orders, cashier checks and/or personal checks.  At this time we are unable to accept credit card payments.  However, you can pay by check over the phone.  To do this, contact the Agent assigned to your account.  Their phone number appears on the bottom of your monthly statement or see “Contact List”.

Q. What are the office hours?

A. We are open Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and there is always someone here to help you.  We are closed on all major holidays.

arrow up

Q. Where is the office located?

A. Our office is located in the Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office in the County Administration Center.  The address is 585 Fiscal Drive, Room 100, Santa Rosa, CA 95403.  (Map)

Q. I am paying at Probation, what is this bill for?

A. As a result of your conviction and in addition to your conditions of probation, you are also required to pay certain fines and fees.  There are two Sonoma County agencies responsible for collecting your payments: the Probation Department and the Revenue & Debt Division (Central Collections).  That means you will be receiving two bills each month, one from Probation and one from the Revenue & Debt Division (Central Collections).  You are required to make payments on both accounts each and every month.  The Revenue & Debt Division (Central Collections) is responsible for collecting Probation Supervision Fees, Probation Pre-Sentence Report Fees, Processing Fees for Penal Code 1203.16(H), and 10% in Administration Fees for Restitution Accounts.  The Probation Department is responsible for collecting victim restitution payments and all other fines and fees.  We will work with you in setting a minimum payment amount that will work within your budget and allow you to successfully fulfill your financial obligations in a timely manner.

Q. Where do these charges come from?  What do I owe this money for?

A. Your account(s) have been sent to us by various departments due to non-payment, for further collection activity.  You will be able to determine what type of bill it is by referring to the line directly below your name and address in your letter.  If your account is from Probation, fees/fines are court ordered and may be summarized on your “minutes” sheet.

arrow up

Q. What happens if I miss a payment?

A. When you miss a payment you have defaulted on your agreement to pay.  This may cause the total balance to be payable in full.  If you do not pay in full, we may take further collection enforcement action to seize your assets.

Q. My Probation Officer said I don’t have to pay until the end of my probation term.  Why are you billing me now?

A. The Probation Officers can set payment plans on the fines that are at the Probation Department, but not the fees, which are assigned to us for collection activity.  The defendant needs to make monthly payments on their fees to avoid collection action.

Q. I did jail time in lieu of paying the fines and fees.  Why are you billing me?

A. 99.9% of the time, serving time in jail does not vacate the fines and fees.  The jail time is usually in addition to paying the fines and fees unless specified by the judge.  You will need to provide proof that the judge ordered jail time in lieu of fines/fees before they can be removed.

Q. Is this affecting my credit?

A. A lien is filed on all delinquent Unsecured Property Taxes and delinquent Transient Occupancy Tax which are 2 or more quarters in arrears.  This will affect your credit.  On all other accounts, non-payment of your bill can result in further collection enforcement, which can and will affect your credit.

arrow up

Q. What is the least amount I can pay?

A. We work with all our debtors to determine the amount you can afford.  We may ask you to till out a financial evaluation form to determine your ability to pay the debt in a timely manner.

Q. What happens if I don’t pay this bill?

A. Your credit may be affected.  We may take further collection enforcement actions to ensure the debt is paid in full and, we may seize your assets.

Q. This is the first I’ve heard of this debt, why haven’t I received a bill?

A. Some accounts, such as Probation and Returned Checks from various departments, are sent directly to us for collection.  Depending upon the originating department, an attempt to mail a bill/late notice was made to the last known address.  It is your responsibility to inform our office of any address changes.  If we are not notified, we use the last known address that is in our system.  When returned mail is received, we utilize the avenues we have available to search for a current address, but the ultimate responsibility belongs to the debtor.

arrow up

Q. If I don’t pay my Probation fines and fees will you put a hold on my driver’s license?

A. Our office does not place holds on your drivers’ license.  If you have a hold on your license, you may need to speak with Court Collections.  Their phone number is (707) 521-6500.  When the recording begins, press 6 on your telephone.

Q. Can I go to jail or work instead of paying this bill?

A. No, however if you can’t afford these bills, you can fill out a Financial Evaluation Form to determine if you’re eligible to pay less than the minimum monthly payment.

Q. What is my total balance due?

A. The statement that you receive may not reflect the correct balance due if there is more than one account in your name in our system. The only accurate way to determine your balance is to contact the Agent for your account.  The contact information can also be found on the correspondence you received from our office.

arrow up